Monday, May 16, 2011

Training Week 1-DONE!

Hello All!


This post is also on my TNT page but I also wanted to post it here just in case people didn't want to click on my fancy link!


Week 1 of training for the Nation's Triathlon is complete and I feel pretty good considering I only had 1 week off between my marathon and beginning tri training. I think breaking it up with swimming and biking certainly helps!


Monday, I did some P90X yoga for some stretching and core work. It felt good but I definitely had times in the workout where I had to just sit there and look at the TV and think, "there is no way I can do that!"


Tuesday was our first track practice at South High School in Denver. Let's just say I did NO speedwork in marathon training, okay, I haven't done it for years, so needless to say, it was a rude awakening. We practiced with some folks from the Tri Club and they were really FAST. Something to definitely aspire to!


Coach Charley had us warm up with plyometrics and I was thinking to myself, "how am I going to run when my legs are already tired from all these lunges and dynamic form exercises." Luckely, my legs held up (although, BURNING) and the workout went well. We did 800s and 400s and Coach Charley wanted the new Fall Team to do one less set then everyone else. My pace group and I were debating doing one more but Coach Charley said no. I think that he doesn't want us to do too much too quickly. Okay, one less set, I GUESS I can do that. :-) Seriously though, I will take it when I can. I have a feeling that there will not be many more opportunities to cut a workout a little short because we are "new."


I loved the track workout and it took me back to high school with Coach Frasier and I left feeling tired but awesome.


Wednesday was our first swim practice at Arapahoe Community College. I went after work to Swim n Things for one of my most favorite activities-SWIMSUIT FITTING!!!! (sarcasm). After trying on many suits and regets of the bread pudding I had the night before, I found a reversible suit. Who knew?! It's like buying 2 suits! I also picked up some sweet swim fins which make me go much faster in the water. Perhaps the United States Triathlon Association will make an exception and allow me to compete with the fins. Come on USTA, PLEASE!!!


When practice began, I had difficulty with my very fashionable swim cap. I had to look around to see if I was putting it on correctly. Ladies, I think we will see the swim cap on the runways come fall. Hehe! We met one of our other Coaches, Justin who quickly and systematically dismanted my swim stroke. Remember the key you may have learned back in the day? Yeah, it's obsolete now. I have to relearn everything!


We spent most of the practice focusing on form and balance which was most definitley needed and Coach Justin said he was pleased with our overall skill level as a group. What I think he was nicely saying was he was glad he didn't have to jump in and rescue anyone.


I have much work to do on my swim stroke and fitness in the water. Can't wait to continue to get my feet wet, literally!


Saturday was a running workout on the Cherry Creek Trail in which I have fond memories of pounding with my running shoes for the past 4 months. We met at LLS offices and then headed out. We split into 2 groups and the Fall Team focused on running form. Coach Charley said, "some of you are turning your toes out when your'e running." I knew instantly he was talking about me. I will try to change the shape of my hips, Coach Charley, but I can't make any promises!


Sunday I went to the gym for a bike ride because my bike is not yet road ready. Oh the seat pain, I have missed you so! I rode for an hour with random hills programmed in and rode 22 miles. Not bad, but again, I have a ton of work to do and riding a stationary bike is nowhere near riding a real bike dealing with wind, etc. I have not been on my bike for 5 years, I am a little anxious for our group ride next saturday. Thank goodness there will be Coaches there when I can't remember how to shift gears correctly.


So week 1 is DONE, bring on week 2!


GO TEAM!!!!

Amanda

No comments: